What is C.A.T.?
Here is what you need to know in order to ride the dial-a-ride public transportation service:
- All passengers must call the CAT dispatch office at least one day in advance to schedule a trip. Please call 541-386-4202 to schedule your trip.
- Trips may be scheduled with a focus on a specific appointment time [drop-off time] OR a preferred pick-up time (i.e. a trip to a medical appointment would need to focus on the specific appointment time [drop-off time], whereas a trip to the grocery store would more likely focus on a general pick-up time.) When the trip(s) are scheduled, passengers will be given a range of time for pick-up (NOT a specific pick-up time.) Passengers will need to be ready to board the bus at the beginning of the time frame arranged by Dispatch and to remain ready to board until the bus arrives. If the bus has not arrived by the end of the arranged time frame, the passenger should contact Dispatch at 541-386-4202.
- All passengers must have proper cash fare or ride tickets in order to board the bus.
- If the passenger has not boarded the bus within five minutes after its arrival, the passenger will be counted a ‘No Show’ and the driver will continue on to the next pick-up/drop-off. Any additional trips for this passenger for the current day will be canceled.
- Passengers should call Dispatch at 541-386-4202 and if necessary leave a voicemail message if they will not be ready for a return trip at the scheduled time. Dispatch will attempt to reschedule the return trip. It is best to schedule extra time when originally scheduling transportation to help ensure the passenger will be ready for the return at the pre-arranged time. Attempting to reschedule a return at the last minute could result in there being no driver/vehicle available or in having a long wait time.
Please note the following changes in CAT’s service:
CAT can no longer change your destination en route. That is, all route changes must be made in advance of your trip by calling the CAT dispatch office at 541-386-4202.
Walk-on passengers will no longer be accepted. All ride requests must be made in advance by calling the CAT dispatch office at 541-386-4202.
No additional unscheduled passengers will be accepted. All additional passengers must be scheduled in advance by calling the CAT dispatch office at 541-386-4202.
Additional General Information- COLUMBIA AREA TRANSIT
- Columbia Area Transit (CAT) provides accessible, quality transportation to the residents of the Hood River County area.
- CAT vehicles are lift-equipped to serve customers who require the use of a wheelchair or have difficulty negotiating stairs.
- CAT offers Dial-A-Ride, door to door service.
- These trips are scheduled in advance and may include other riders. CAT is a convenient way to make essential trips to shopping, work, medical appointments, or recreational activities.
- As well as Dial-A-Ride service, CAT offers specific shopping days to different areas of Hood River County on a weekly basis, daily Fixed Route schedules to The Dalles, and weekly Fixed Route schedules to the Portland area.
Can I use CAT?
- CAT is public transportation. ANYONE is eligible to use CAT services.
When can I use CAT?
- CAT is available Monday-Friday. Please call the CAT office for available times.
Where can I go on CAT?
- CAT serves the Hood River, Odell, Parkdale, and Cascade Locks communities. If you have a question about whether or not the ride you want is within the CAT service area or times, please call the CAT office.